Current and former Prison University Project students are spearheading an array of advocacy, public education, and reentry efforts during this crisis and leading the conversation on how COVID-19 affects incarcerated individuals.
- Kenyatta Leal shared tips for living in isolation in USA Today. Read Story
- David Cowan, Prison University Project Director of Operations and Director of Bonafide, discussed in an interview how COVID-19 has complicated reentry support. Read Story
- Student and Senior Editor of the San Quentin News Juan Moreno Haines has emerged as a voice for the incarcerated during the COVID-19 crisis. His published pieces in DemocracyNow! and The Appeal reflect what’s happening inside San Quentin in real time. Read Story
- Phil Melendez, Los Angeles Outreach Associate atRe:store Justice, was featured on “Coronavirus Impact Podcast with Ben Higgins” from ABC 10 News San Diego. Hear Phil at 13:56.
- Adnan Khan and Eric “Maserati E” Abercrombie were featured on “GeriPal Podcast” with Dr. Brie Williams, Professor of Medicine and Director of the Criminal Justice & Health Program at UCSF and Director of Amend: Changing Correctional Culture. Listen here.
- Adnan also spoke to Alicia Menendez on MSNBC about the threat of COVID-19 in America’s carceral system. Watch Adnan at 34:50.
- James King and Sajad Shakoor participated in a webinar, “Getting People Out Of Prison: How to Support People in CDCR In Asking For Release Due to COVID-19” sponsored by the Prisoner Advocacy Network.
Please note that the Prison University Project became Mount Tamalpais College in September 2020.